Monday, April 12, 2010

April Showers Bring May Flowers...

{A cliche very much true for the Crowells}.

While we were in Spain, we sent our passports to CA to complete all our visa work. Well, while they were in transit, the embassy in CA called Corey to make sure he'd sent all our biometric info. Corey was a little confused as the

{embassy never mentioned biometric info BEFORE we left the States}.

We completely understood we would be able to send our passports to CA from a foreign country, i.e., Spain. We asked the embassy if we could complete our biometric info from Spain--to which they clearly said no. The biometric info needed to be taken care of within our country of residence. Perfect. Now we needed our passports to fly back to the US, but the only problem was they were already arriving to CA.

{That weekend we just prayed our passports could turn around asap}

and arrive IN our hands BEFORE Spain's Holy Week started. This would require a miracle. That Wednesday EVERYTHING would be closing down for the holiday.
For some reason, that very same weekend, Elsie started drooling like CRAZY. At first I thought her teeth were coming in, but there was WAY too much drooling going on. Her mouth was half open and the poor girl would not eat a thing. She would not let me put her down. So, we decided to take Elsie to the hospital. No passports.
We showed up to the after-hours clinic with lots of other little sickies--the perfect place for hanging out for a couple of hours. Anyway, the hospital let us through thanks to our friends/hosts and diagnosed

{Elsie with cankers of the mouth. A virus. I felt horrible.}

They were all under her tongue and spread throughout her lower gums. How did I miss this?! The poor thing could only take ibuprofen and an oral gel to numb the pain.
Well, Tuesday brought Elsie nasal congestion and Wednesday conjuctivitus. Wednesday did, however, bring some good news--the passports were in transit to Jerez (30 min. from Cadiz). We drove to pick up the valuable booklets an hour before FedEx closed. This meant we

{could be home for Easter Weekend!! Most importantly, Elsie could see a doctor.}

Thursday morning I had to pull out the warm washcloth and everything---Elsie's eyes were sealed shut. She needed eyedrops. The only problem was, everything was closed down. I also went to change Miss E's diaper and realized she only had 4 diapers left. Like this was going to fly--literally. So, I took Elsie out for a walk. We looked in EVERY Chinese/Arab bazaar. Everything (pads, T.P., and even diaper wipes) BUT diapers were to be found. Thinking I would have no other option, I ended up buying night pads and thought I could at least put those in her diapers to spare the only four I had. Well, I finally

{saw a pharmacy with it's door half open.}

I poked my head in and immediately saw a package of size 4 diapers. I asked the pharmacist if they were open. He told me they were for sure closed--everything was closed. Like I was some dumb foreinger or something. :) I told him my story. No go. He was NOT going to sell me diapers. Fortunately, another man in the pharmacy (who maybe was helping with inventory or something) told me there were diapers at the gas station.

{Entered the gas station.}

Yay diapers!! Like 20 of them....for 27 Euros. Ya right. I commented to a woman next to me--buying yogurt, baby food, and baby formula--how ridiculous it was to pay that much for diapers. She whole-heartedly agreed. I then told her my story. I was SO relieved to hear that there was ONE pharmacy open and only a 20 min. walk away.

{Elsie and I were off. Bought the diapers. Bought the antibiotic. We were set.}

After 24 hours of travel, we were warmly greeted by family. Elsie was relieved to find herself so comfortable at home.
The next morning Corey and I took Miss E to the pediatrician. Elsie had an

{ear infection in BOTH ears. No wonder the poor girl couldn't get comfortable on the flights! Corey and I were both surprised she didn't scream the entire way.}

Needless to say, we are here at home for a couple of weeks. Our biometric appointment lasted an entire half-hour. :) At any rate, our visas are for sure being completed in CA and will be mailed to us in a couple of weeks. The laptop is STILL in the UK, so pictures may not be coming for a bit. Long story, but I had to write it down before it slipped my mind.

{We had some showers--at times it felt like it was pouring. Flowers are blooming--we're here with family, Elsie is healthy & happy, and we will finally have visas for England.}

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez, girl! Craziness!

VanOrden Family said...

wow! I didn't realize all you went through. Poor little girl. We were glad you were able to make it to Grandpa's on Easter anyway.

DeYoung said...

It makes my head spin thinking about the wild, wild weeks it has been for all of you. So glad prayers are sometimes answered "yes"!
We love having you home!
-Mom

Ashley said...

I'm pretty sure my heart would have exploded halfway through that ordeal. I don't handle stress well :) Sheesh, so glad that's over for you and it (kind-a) worked out :)

DeYoung said...

(I forgot to say I really like the colored eggs picture!)
-Mom

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

what a crazy story

Alicia said...

Wow - there has been a LOT going on in your family!! Crazy. I'm so impressed that after all that treking you were still willing to walk another 20 minutes to get diapers!
Way to have a good outlook on things!

Melissa said...

Wowzers...What a story! YOu are such a strong gal!

It was so good to see you at the graduation! Hope all goes well for you in the new place!