Thursday, September 26, 2013

Fly "Bye"

Boom. We blinked. We were home. Where did the last few months go? How did our three-plus years fly by so fast? Was it all a dream? I still remember flying to England for the first time with only Elsie and the help of my mom (Corey was on business in Venezuela) thinking, "Wow, this is a long flight....and it feels twice as long with one kid!" My mom quickly taught me to just expect to be awake and entertaining the entire flight, and pleasantly surprised if I get some sleep. I was glad I took that gem-of-advice to heart for all the consecutive flights in years that followed. Only flying back to Utah for the final time made my heart a bit sad realizing it might be the last time we fly like this with our little ones (not sure I felt the same thing 13 hours later. ;) I love watching Elsie and Spencer make their seat-spaces their very own, i.e., hanging up back packs, pulling out personal activities, and discovering surprise treats (although Elsie would save special treats months prior for every trip ;)


My emotions ran high the minute we received news it was time to move home. Oh the emotional roller coaster we experienced weeks after we'd arrived home to USA. How could we leave the gorgeous people who'd become like family to us? What about Spencer and Elsie? All they'd ever known was our dear 4 Garrod Approach and Woodbridge. Oh how fun though to be home with grandparents and play with cousins. Think of all the possible outings, parties, and activities?! How were we going to leave a place where beautiful and tender memories--including the birth of two children--were made? I was FOREVER grateful we had Davina--an innovative familyness adventurer and photographer fly out to capture our family life in our English Bubble. The timing of her visit was nothing short of a sweet miracle. You can see her masterpiece slideshows here, here, here, here, here . . . and here. ;) All rights and permissions of these gems (images) belong to her. If you've never seen her approach to photography, registering for her workshops and guides will inspire the way you view and capture happiness in your family. Davina and her husband radiate everything happy and their visit was inspired. How were we going leave this "bubble" of ours?  How were we going to clear our semi-detached in only 6 weeks?! 

 Well, the latter would not have happened without the sacrifice and goodness of the people we so love from our ward (LDS church congregation) and neighborhood. Friends came to sort through, pack, and take goods to charity shops. Friends treated our kids to outings so we could focus on packing and cleaning. A friends came to weed our entire garden. Friends flooded our home to clean all three bathrooms, walls and kitchen.....the entire house before final inspection. Friends filled our tummies with homemade savory meals. Friends gave words forever pressed into our hearts. Friends surprised us with a fabulous farewell party. Friends poured thoughtful cards, emails, and texts via post, email, and phones. Could one's heart burst with gratitude? No wonder we cried so and still cry when a memory tugs at our heartstrings. More than anything, we consider it a tremendous blessing in our lives to have been surrounded by some of the most lovely people in all the world.

I had to be brave and fight tears when we shut our door for the last time and walked down the path to our car after our final inspection. I didn't want Elsie and Spencer to know just how sad I was to go. So many memories. My mind swept through the house and garden seeing and hearing their little voices laugh, play, read, cry, pray, and sing. I quietly cried as our early morning cab took us around the round-about and down through Melton Park. The tears only flowed even more as we drove up over the Orwell where I set eyes on the dawn-dusted hills of Ipswich. 



We cabbed it from Woodbridge {best option by far with those little ones, THAT much luggage AND and an early-morning flight} and Elsie's hair and hand on her head said it all the minute she stepped onto the airport curb. "Oh dea'," Sweet Boston Bean, I know EXACTLY how you feel.


*Whilst* we tried our best to box our goods and send them on a pallet, you still need to pack essentials for a family of five. Our porter had our Jenga of suitcases sorted perfectly....until we ran into the posts! ;)



Corey lead the way with his loaded trolly, followed by Elsie and her own essentials, and lastly our poor porter lugging all our....well....stuff {and there really is no better word}.



 Friends, you will be PLEASED to note that our airport experience this trip was a fine one. No problems through security and we enjoyed some lovely breakfast bites at a *favourite* Apostrophe. You were probably waiting to hear another running-through-the-airport-dragging-our-kids-sweating-at-the-gate-while-trying-to-fold-the-hummer-I-mean-stroller-into-the-bag experience! No nail-biting this time. We had plenty of time to drink a fresh orange juice, eat delicious pastries, use the toilets, take some pictures, and leisurely walk to the gate.
It sure was nice to settle in comfortably {and some flight-attendants give entire bottles of water to nursing mums--those would be my *favourite*, too}.


"Love you and leave you," an expression my sweet visiting teacher would often say.  Our hearts say, "We'll forever love you, leave you for now, and again see you," --which is essentially what the original phrase means. ;) Thank you to all the beautiful people who influenced who we are now. England we so love you. It was one of the hardest things in the world to leave you. I know we will one day again see you. Until next time...

1 comment: